Saturday, July 18, 2009

Hello Colorado and Happy Anniversary/Family Day

I have been DYING to get out of Kansas since the Branson trip. Somewhere cooler and with incredible views was what I was dreaming of. Really it was eating at me more than I can describe-EXTREME CABIN FEVER with no way to get out---the heat has been so intense that the only thing I've been wanting to do outside is to be in the pool. So I was ecstatic when Brian agreed that we should go to Colorado.
One of Brian's high school buddies and his wife (one of my old college roommates) were so gracious to let us stay with them. Our kids couldn't have got along better! Day 1
We went to Megan's grandparents' cabin in Big Elk Meadows. BEAUTIFUL and so peaceful!

First up: fishing. The little ones got hungry so we headed back to eat while Braeden stayed with Brian and Mark to fish some more. Mark got a bite and quickly had Braeden run over to reel it in --a rainbow trout over a foot long! Thanks Megan for gutting it and Mark for cooking it up. It was surprisingly tasty (I'm not big on fish)! Following lunch was more fishing; everyone was a bit jazzed and hoping to score another catch, there were a few more bites but sadly they all got away.
Next up: hiking. The big kids and dads took off while the moms and babes rested. Some of the highlights from the hike included: finding walking sticks 
rock climbing 
exploring nature 
and just having plain ole fun!
Braeden and Mark made it to an old school house where Braeden climbed in and explored a bit. The hike lasted over two hours with requests to be carried happening only during the last 100 yards or so. 

We had so much fun with our friends and activities that it was nearly dinner before I realized neither Brian or I had wished one another happy anniversary! We've vacationed with the whole family for the majority of our anniversaries and I love telling the kids that it is the celebration of the beginning of our family. I feel so blessed to be married to Brian. Happy 11th anniversary! What a FUN day we had to celebrate! 

No comments: