Sunday, July 31, 2011

Creatures

 
Leave it to Braxton to find this awesome guy. He is a lover of nature and God's creatures. While swimming at gma and gpa T's he spotted a frog suctioned to the pool liner. I have never seen a tree frog outside of the aquariums at the zoo so I was over the top excited too.
I mean look at those feet--so cool! We looked online to see what we needed to keep him for a bit. We learned he was a gray tree frog and the kids quickly went in search of a meal of live crickets but after a little more research we learned our area is not a suitable home. 

So we ditched the idea of bringing him home and they released him back near the trees and water. The boys took turns holding him experiencing the sticky feeling of his feet on their skin. And before he hopped away he jumped on Braxton's forehead, the camera and finally on Brian's shorts for a bathroom break.  

Fast forward two days while on our way to church...Brian and I spotted a turtle. We promised the kids last summer that if they found a box turtle we'd let them keep it. I have fond childhood memories of summer turtle pets....we'd always enter them in the city wide turtle races....one year mine even won me some money! We didn't have any luck finding one last summer and this was the first turtle we had seen this year. So we snagged it up and dropped him off in a box at home. 
The kids were so excited to to get back and take care of him. But again after a closer look we found what we were hoping was a box turtle turned out to be a slider turtle that lives in the water. Being 100 plus degrees we knew he needed to be placed in the pond soon. So off we headed to release another creature.
Braxton was directing him to "go on, go on" back into the water.
Although when we found him in the street he was barely moving, it turns out he was really quite fast. He was accidentally dropped in the garage before heading to the lake and showed us just how quick he could travel. Once at the water's edge, perhaps relieved to be so near his refreshing home, I think he took off even faster. 
We are currently waiting for our final creature to materialize into a beautiful monarch butterfly however, I have my suspicions that the chrysalis was the final stage of his lifespan. 

No comments: