Monday, October 3, 2011

a Decade

Ten....
Unbelievable that it's been a decade with this one.

Be forewarned, I plan to gush.....
He is strong, helpful, friendly, bright, fun loving, inquisitive, eager to please, caring, a great big brother (who would tell you he loves to torment his siblings), thoughtful, God loving....I really could go on and on. But, I will leave it at this, I am so proud to be the mom of such an amazing boy. I know that he has a positive influence on those around him and this world is and will be a better place because of him.
Right now among other things, he is into football, math, traveling, swimming, friends and family.....

His teacher had us write up a bit about the day of his birth to share with his class. (I so wish I had blogged back then)....here are bits (and more) of what we shared....
Braeden was the first born in his family, his mom and dad didn’t know what to expect. Getting around for his mom had become hard because her belly was so BIG but there were NO signs that Braeden was ready to come into the world. (He's the only child my doctor allowed to go full term.) The doctor decided to put his mom in the hospital to get things going. The next day the nurses gave his mom a special medicine around 6 am. Once they started the medicine Braeden needed just a few hours (actually about 5) before he was ready to meet us.  There were lots of people in the room excited to see him: his grandpa, an aunt, uncle and even a cousin! (I remember feeling heartbroken that my mom was not physically with us....which is why I had so many of my family there...emotionally, I needed them.....plus we weren't sure if Brian would pass out from the whole experience....at that point in life he wasn't so good with needles and such....of course he did fine....keeping his eyes on my face and pacing A LOT.) We were shocked (Dr. included) to see just how GIANT Braeden was! He was 9 and a half pounds! (Brian and his dad were HUGE babies too 10 and 11 lbs respectively.) He had a head full of dark brown hair and shoulders so big his grandpa said he looked like a linebacker! Brian recalls being relieved that Braeden was so big as he hadn’t been around babies much; he said it made Braeden seem less fragile. Braeden ate a ton that first day; actually he ate a lot everyday as a baby, and was 20 pounds at only 5 months old! (one of his uncles referred to him ever so lovingly as a tick...nice, right?). I adored his rolls and cheeks....nothing's better than some baby chub!

I remember the overwhelming sense of JOY I felt the day Braeden was born...like I was made to be a mom. Having a child (and later more children) was the most awesome experience of my life!  I decided the day of his birth I wanted more children (FOUR to be exact). 

That then 9.8 lb baby now measures to just above the biggest part of my nose.... he will definitely outgrow both Brian and I (after all, we both got the height shaft in our families) it's in his genes. His feet are huge, his appetite bigger but his heart is by all accounts the only part that really matters... and it is enormous.
I felt my heart break a bit when he reminded us all earlier this week that he will never be single digits again. He began reflecting on his goals and aspirations (which do not include the promise AND contract he signed when he was 6 or so stating that he'd live with us forever.) They also do not include his verbal backup plan, made at the same time, that he and his brother would just get a house together and live next door to us. But, they do include...going to middle school, then high school, learning to drive and attending college with plans to travel the world designing video games from what he's seen and done. He has plans to live in a big city...maybe DC or somewhere in California. Maybe have kids...and maybe not.     

I know that these plans and dreams will change too....but I look forward to riding as much of the adventure that he will share with us.
Happy Birthday my sweet Braeden.  I obviously LOVE you!

No comments: