Monday, August 17, 2009

First day of school...2009



Braeden has been so excited to return to school. Meet your teacher night solidified just how amazing his year will be. His teacher was full of spunk and he noticed that he has 9 kids in his class that he already knows. One of the first things he did when arriving to his seat was to unload the books in the chair pocket to investigate what kind of learning he's in for. He's been waiting to start reading for the reading counts program and with the meeting of his teacher we gave him the go ahead to start. (Although, writing some of this post two weeks into the school year...he found out that the books he started reading would not count...thanks Mrs. M for saying no to repeats!)
Anyway, back to the first day...Braeden came to work with me and would catch the bus from my building. We told him we'd take him tomorrow when Braxton started his first day. I'm in a new building this year and his buddy, Grace who he hung out with last year is now a 6th grader and wouldn't be riding the bus. I think all of this together with the excitement of a new year was a bit to much for him...he ended up begging me to take him and had the whole mobility thing figured out (the first day of school with two parents in education just isn't real conducive to taking your kid to class---there was no way Brian would be able to take Braeden or come with me to help.) I tried consoling Braeden, encouraging and empathizing with him to no avail. He was teary and begging! I held him and felt his little heart beating out of his body. So by now I knew I had to take him. We agreed that he'd walk in at the parent drop off spot and prepared to go get in the van only to meet a torrential down pour.... we did make it with the help of some very fine ladies I work with. And Braeden had a fantastic day!

Following school is the traditional ice cream date where Braeden shared that he liked everything about school and that most of what they did today was talk about the rules but he's excited to return none-the-less.

No comments: